Copy the questions below, paste into an email, complete each one with your thoughts, and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. (Please do not use real or full names in your contribution.) Your email address will never be posted with your contribution. If your email address is not as anonymous as you would like, you can quickly create a pseudo-email for free on gmail (amongst others) and submit it from there.
Your contribution is yours. There is no right way to interpret the questions below, and this is not an empirically designed survey. This is not for research, your information will not be sold or used in any way other than to be posted as a daily contribution on somemother.com. Include your own blog url if you wish. I will let you know when your contribution will be posted if you want to link up.
Answer in as little or much detail as you want. Since the foundation of somemother is that your experience matters, hopefully you will share generously about it. You are invited to go deep, past your comfort zone. If a question prompt makes you uncomfortable or indignant, pay attention…. If a question is easy for you, pay attention. You are getting to know yourself as much as you are inviting others to relate to your story. There are only 20 questions, and they are each biggies. If we want to get real in the time that somemother, somewhere has to read your post, every question must count.
Now let’s get started! Answer honestly and intuitively as soon as you read the questions, as if we were just talking over a latte. Try not to over think, self-edit, obsess, ruminate, draft, revise, comeupwithstuffthatsoundsbettertoyouthanthetruth…. WE WANT TO HEAR YOUR AUTHENTIC STORY.
ESTABLISHING YOURSELF (a few details that help somemothers know what they have in common with you).
I am … years old.
I am married.common-law.separated.divorced.widowed.single.
I have 18.104.22.168.5.6+ children. Here are their ages/genders:
I am lower.lower-middle.middle.upper-middle.upper.
I live urban.rural.remote.
I completed highschool.certificate-diploma.undergrad.graduate.doctorate.post-doctorate.
I am straight.gay.other.
Of note about my ethnicity and/or cultural background:
NOW, TWENTY QUESTIONS ABOUT YOU
- The most significant aspect of my upbringing.
- My best advice to mothers about to enter the stage of childrearing that I just went through.
- Something that concerns me about my child(ren).
- My absolute worst mothering moment (so far).
- What annoys me most about other mothers.
- I am happiest when.
- I am saddest when.
- My biggest fear.
- I am ashamed of.
- Something I need to forgive.
- Something I wish I could say to someone.
- Something I have never told anyone.
- Something I am trying to change about myself.
- My biggest accomplishment.
- I wish.
- Something my relationship with my mother has taught me about parenting.
- Something my relationship with my father has taught me about parenting.
- How I would describe my faith life.
- Something I hope will be different for me by this time next year.
- Something important about my story that hasn’t been captured by the questions above.
- BONUS: A question you would like to see added to this list that readers can respond to in the comments.